Thursday, January 29, 2009

Metabolic Workouts

Ok, I have been having a hard time lately with studying and school and such, but I'm trying to do better, especially since tomorrow is the last day I have to wake up early. Anyways, In my class today we did a metabolic workout. These are pretty new in the fitness world, or at least understanding them is new, but it was a lot of fun. Plus it is supposed to be the best way to burn fat because it boosts your metabolic rate quickly and it lasts for longer most other workouts. Also, it is quick and pretty easy, but you do have to motivate yourself to push it and actually do your best and not just do it all half hearted. Anyways, this is how it goes...

You perform each exercise for 10 seconds with about 2-5 seconds rest between exercises.

first exercise: squat to press- begin holding two dumbells and shoulder level, perform a squat and when you are coming up from the squat press the dumbells above your head.

second exercise: T push-ups- in a push up position perform a push-up and when done lift one hand and twist and hold, return hand to the ground and perform another push-up this time raising the other hand


third exercise: dumbell squat- while holding one dumbell near the chest perform a squat while lowering the dumbell between the legs, while coming up bring the dumbell back to the chest.

fourth exercise: standing row- while holdinga dumbell slightly lean forward with one hand behind back. With the hand holding the dumbell perform a row by bringing the elbow back at a 90 degree angle and pinching the shoulder blades together. do 10 seconds with each arm
fifth exercise: statue of liberty- hold one dumbell as high as you can in the air and take four steps forward then four steps back. do 10 seconds for each arm.

Once each exercise is done perform a bike blast. This is done by getting on a stationary bike and pedaling as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds. If you don't have a bike excessible then do high knees or run in place quickly for 30 seconds.

Once you have finished all six activities take a short (15-30 seconds) break and repeat all exercises in the same order. Do it all a total of three times and then you're done. It is a short less then twn minutes, and it boosts your metabolism so you burn more calories after you're done.

Anyways, I know this was long and maybe it was a little confusing, but let me know if you have any questions of if you try it let me know how you felt after. We did it in class and it definitely made me tired, but I am excited to make my aerobics class do it later this semester.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that! I will have to try it out.

Carolyn said...

That sounds good and I like that it only will take 10 minutes! I am going to try it Alana!