what does it mean to be tolerant of someone, of their lifestyle? I have heard a lot of tolerance lately, and being told to be tolerant, but what does it mean?
Being from California I have heard a lot about Prop 8. The proposition that if it is passed will once again make marriage only between a man and a woman. If I vote YES on prop 8 does that mean I am being intolerant of homosexual lifestyles? No, it doesn't. I love all people. I care for all types of people. I am not judging someone because of how they choose to live their life. I have many personal experiences of dealing with people that chose to live homosexual lifestyles. One of my good friends in high school was gay and I didn't treat him any different. In fact I cared more for him than many other people I knew. I am not voting YES to hurt anyone, I am doing it because I believe it is right for me.
I think members of the LDS church are often looked down on for their beliefs and especially right now in CA for taking a stand. My parents were given bumper stickers in favor of prop 8 to put on their cars. I don't know how it may seem to others not in the situation, but it is a huge thing to do. My mom told me of two families in our ward that had their cars completely keyed because of the stickers. I can't imagine preaching to someone tolerance, and then keying their car because they happen to believe a different way. My sister is in the 4th grade and my mom works at her elementary school. Will her PE/ social studies teacher, who happens to be gay and recently married, treat her differently because my parents put a bumper sticker on their car?
I am proud to say that I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I know that if I was told I was not allowed to married to my husband or that our marriage was no longer accepted that I would be angry and frustrated. I understand it is hard to deal with, but be tolerant of me and my beliefs, as I have been so with yours. Don't call me and my family intolerant. We are doing what we believe is right and I only expect you to do the same.
I love you and I am sorry if this is hurting you.
2 comments:
I agree with you! Sorry about those that got their cars keyed! It is definitely a polarizing issue!
Thanks for this post. I agree, and I'm voting YES in November.
I had gay friends in college. They were fun and nice to me. I never treated them any different and they didn't treat me different. They knew I was married and pregnant. They were happy for me. Just because I'm voting to keep marriage defined as a man and woman, doesn't mean I don't want them to be happy. They should have all the financial rights as domestic partners that we have.
All I ask is for marriage to stay defined as it always has been.
Post a Comment