Friday, April 29, 2011

quick question

to all the parents out there...

When you pick your child up from school/ nursery/ primary and you ask "How did my child do today?" Do you want to know the truth or do you want to hear they did fine no matter what?

I have wondered this when parents pick up their kids after school and I wonder with some of them if they really care how they did or if they are just saying something to me to pretend they care. I don't know, do you want to know that your child cried and screamed for 20 minutes during rest time, or punched a kid at recess, or talked back to an adult at lunch, or do you just want me to say it was an okay day or it was a good day?

8 comments:

Brave Brooke said...

I know how you feel! With the parents that pick up their kids I feel like they are expecting some 2 sentence summation of the day. There's like an awkward silence after I hand their kids off to them but I write an extensive note for each child that is inside their backpacks! Sorry to vent but I feel for ya!

Pat said...

I absolutely want to know the truth. If the child is acting out repeatedly or even if it's an isolated event the parent needs to know.

I know what you're feeling though. When I was a nanny I wondered the same thing. I was afraid to tell the parent things, worried that she would think it was my methods of instructing that were off, but as the parent (and most parents in general) we know our children aren't perfect.

My kids act out at home all the time and there is often a specific punishment for a problem behavior, but if the caretaker doesn't know that the child can get away with things they normally wouldn't at home.

If you tell a parent the truth after they ask and then they never ask again, then they really don't want to know. If they come back the day after and ask again, then they want to know. And you can come to a mutual agreement of how to handle things.

Pat said...

that last comment was Susan D.

jksfam said...

I think some people don't want to know, but really need to... You can't do anything to help your kid as a parent if you don't know what they're doing. They really should be told when their child is being mean, etc. There will always be some that will defend their child and assume the teachers cause things, though. :(

Laurel said...

The truth!

Dalene said...

ALWAYS I want to know the TRUTH! This is the only way to teach our little ones if they acted inappropriately. BUT, never tell other parents about my child acting up - that will just make me mad - and sad. GOOD QUESTION!

Jordan McCollum said...

The truth, absolutely! Not only do we need to know if there's something we need to relearn/discuss at home, you can give us a heads-up for what kind of state our child is in now. It's a shock to drop off a happy child and get back a grumpy one—the preparation would be nice!

Rachel said...

If I ask, I want to know the nitty gritty. Sometimes they had a rough morning and I wonder how they handled class because of it.

I asked because Logan was hating class and I thought he was being bullied. They said no and he always had fun in class. He still hates going, but is so happy after he goes..so I don't know. But if we ask, we really want to know. :)