Sunday, March 27, 2011

Beauty

Don't feel like you need to read, I just needed to write down my feelings about things that people have said to me lately.  I just need the reminder each day that I am beautiful, and that it's not just about how I look, but who I am. So here it is...

I have had many experiences that make me think about the beauty of the people around me.  Yes, most of them have happened while at school with 4 year olds- but I think that is what has made the impact on me.

When I was a sub I had 2 little girls from different schools come and tell me that they wanted to exercise more so that they could be prettier- then they sucked in their stomachs and said "like this".  Each time I wanted to cry because these two girls thought they weren't beautiful.  They were- they were healthy and amazing little girls who I just loved to visit each time I was at the schools.  I was so mad that they were led to believe that skinny was beautiful and that is the reason people exercise- for the purpose of getting skinny, not getting healthy.

I think this is a huge problem people are facing everyday.  I'm pretty sure I've had many conversations with adults and friends about this issue.  But let me tell you what I think.  I have many moments when I don't feel pretty- when I don't like the body I've been given, but what a blessing it really has been.  I came here to get a body, and I should be grateful for that everyday.  We find things about ourselves to not be happy with, just so we have something to fix and not be happy about.  Why can't we just be happy with what we have been blessed with? I have to remind myself of this everyday.

As I have now been working full time I have really been able to learn about the kids I work with.  They are the best- not at listening or being quiet- but they are hilarious.  One of the little girls in my class woke up one day, looked in the mirror, and said "It's hard being so pretty".  I think we all need to realize how beautiful we really are.  Another girl was telling me how she is so much prettier than Ariel the mermaid.  She knew it, she wasn't going to be persuaded by media about how she should look- I loved it! I hope that when they grow up they remember how amazing they are. I hope everyone remembers how amazing they are.  Live it and love it. You are amazing!

2 comments:

Jeff Gillette said...

Thanks! Well said!

kels said...

Agreed... I actually was asked to talk in an RS lesson last week about my experience overcoming an eating disorder and learning to love my body, and accepting myself as a daughter of God, etc. Really neat experience.

Loved this post :)